AALI envisions an egalitarian social system that recognizes women as complete individuals and equal human beings through advocacy for women’s human rights. Our organization undertakes research, activism, and direct response with a strong focus on violence against women and the right to choice and decision-making in relationship.
About our Organization
Association for Advocacy and Legal Initiatives Trust (AALI) is a women-led organization committed to the protection and advancement of rights of women, children and other marginalized communities. AALI has direct field presence in Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand and Bihar, and provides technical support to various women rights’ organizations and groups across India.
Established in 1998, AALI’s ideological framework, rooted in the United Nation’s Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), envisions “An egalitarian system which recognizes women as equal human beings and promotes and protects their social, economic, and citizenship rights’ guaranteed in the Constitution of India and in the international human rights treaties.”
Based on feminist perspective and right based approach, AALI believes the law is both, a site for change as well as a powerful tool to ensure social justice. Hence it works with a multi-pronged strategic framework viz. Active Citizenship, Access to Justice and Addressing the Knowledge Gaps.
Mission & Objectives
- To champion the rights and concerns of women, particularly those from underprivileged and marginalized communities.
- Our focus includes conducting fact-finding missions and legal research on women’s rights issues, with an emphasis on the right to sexual autonomy.
- As a legal support organization and resource center with a feminist perspective, we collaborate with other women’s groups, collectives, organizations, institutions, and individuals.
- We create, publish, and distribute material related to women’s rights, issues, and concerns.
- Our services include providing legal and other necessary assistance to women in need, particularly those who have experienced abuse. We also initiate legal action and intervene in legal matters related to the right to choose and violence against women.
- Our organization maintains connections with other organizations and women’s groups at the regional, national, and international levels on issues related to women.